Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Serve Day 2006


I took a LONG nap after all the festivities from THIS weekend subsided. No sooner am I back on American ground when my calendar fills up completely. One year ago, I participated in Serve Day on my first "official" day as a Southern Californian. This year, I was assisting with worship leading at the rally and serving with good friends from Revolution Church. I've come full circle....it was a moment (sniff).

Our project THIS year was facilitating a carnival for psychiatric patients at the Metropolitan State Hospital. We worked with adolescents and adults who had limited to full grounds access. The possibility of working next year with patients from the penal code section is in the works (patients who are doing time at the hospital for pleading insanity in a criminal case). We sure did have some characters this year...and I'm just talking about the volunteers from Revolution. CRAZY! We provided Karaoke (listened to a lot of "I love Rock and Roll" and "Rapper's Delight"), many carnival games and crafts, and an abundance of prizes. The experience of serving people "just because" is always so rewarding.

No comments: