Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Caffeinated Confessions

I'm going to type something in a few moments that I've never typed before.
It's a confession that may shock you.
And, for as much as I pimp St. Arbucks, I'm a little embarrassed to admit it.

{deep breath}
I don't like coffee all that much.

There.  I said it.
I like the foofy milk-shaky blended concoctions.  Or a sugared up mocha on a cold day.
At home, with a little lot of creamer, I make it drinkable.

It's become a staple of comfort, like a fireplace during the snowy winter.
Putting my "mommy mug" under the Tassimo has become the mental start to my day- something I can enjoy for myself as I serve up my kids' breakfast and endure another episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
Having my mom here to enjoy a cup with me makes it even more special.

Sadly, coffee has gone from a luxury to a necessity as I try to avoid horrible headaches in the absence of caffeine.  Darn.  I'm more addicted than I thought.

A few days ago, our coffee maker broke.  BROKE. 
{Stunned silence as my mom and I stare at each other in the kitchen...}

We took this opportunity to jump ship (much like Starbucks did recently) from the sinking Tassimo to the thriving KEURIG, something I've wanted to do for a while but couldn't justify the frivolous expense.  Walk into Bed, Bath & Beyond and look at the behemoth wall of Keurig coffee options.  Then look at the endcap to your left and see the sad selection of Tassimo drinks.  (wah wahhhhhh)  Or, just find some K-cups at the local grocery store, a luxury I've never had.  (#firstworldproblems)

Thank you, Tassimo, for essentially breaking up with me first.  I just couldn't find the heart to kick a perfectly good coffee maker to the curb. 

SO, out with the old, in with the new.
We now own the Buzz Lightyear of coffee makers.  And it brews a good cup of joe.

The newest member of our family.  Who needs a dog??  This smells much better!


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad you got a new one! I have tried to give up coffee more times then I can count! It always lures me back with it's promises of warmth and energy. I am like putty in it's hands--And I like it!

Amelia said...

Luckily, living an hour-long bus ride from the nearest Starbucks, I've managed to limit my coffee-drinking to once a week (though I do occasionally..rarely..have a quick hot cup of instant in the morning before work). But every Sunday, as if the Lord himself were bestowing that sweet blessing of caffeine upon me, I indulge in my delicious frothy blended mocha frappuccino like there's no tomorrow.