Monday, June 27, 2011

They Done Graduated.

Me:  "I'll be in California next week."
Them:  "Oh really?  What for?"
Me:  "My first class of second graders is graduating high school."
(stunned silence as they calculate how many years that is...)

Kinda fun to ambush people with that information (teaching seems like a lifetime ago!) until I realize that, WOW...that really DOES make me sound/feel olllllld!  The above conversation took place countless times before I visited CA in May to attend the graduation ceremonies of some very special students.  I attended 2 graduations, and saw 14 of my former 2nd graders receive diplomas- one as a valedictorian. 

I've had a lot of students, but my first class remains a special one to me.  I was simultaneously working on my teaching credential, and many of the students were used as case studies and projects throughout the year, developing special relationships with them.  In addition, I had the most amazing, supportive group of parents the world has EVER seen!  I've kept in touch with them through the years, caroling on their doorsteps at Christmastime, and they've been there for me with wedding and baby showers.  I wouldn't have missed their kids' special day for anything!

JP displays a picture of a much tinier version of himself...

This happy graduate is off to Chico State in the fall!

Lincoln High School graduation- I graduated on the same field 16 years earlier!

My lovely girl, Katrin- off to SJDC in the fall!

St. Marys High School graduation ceremony

Former students Amanda (left-graduate) and Angela (graduating next year!)

Cydney will soon be a fellow CSU Sacramento alum!
So, so proud of all my sweet "kids"!

6 comments:

Amelia said...

I know we're not the same *age*, but I know what you mean! My first class of kindergarteners from church are graduating next spring! Craziness..

Anonymous said...

16 years ago....HOLY COW!!!!! you are twice my age...

Becky said...

It may make you feel old, but you'll be happy to know that you look much more like their older sister than their former 2nd grade teacher! #goodgenes

Jamie Stavenger said...

Awww, shucks, Becky...that's sweet. One could say the same about you :) And, "Enriqe"...your just jealous that these kids have high school diplomas and you don't. :)

bobby said...

I just think it's cool that you went to their graduation. I could hardly remember most of my elementary school teachers names let alone expect them to care that I graduated high school. Very cool.

Jamie Stavenger said...

ACK.... *you're*