Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dear Derek,

Dear Derek,

I miss you. Our family just isn't the same without you. We talk about you often, and are determined to keep you as a big part of our lives, even in the midst of your physical absence. We trust that God is passing along the hugs we send up daily, and that you are smiling down upon all the new joys we are experiencing here.

Your niece is beautiful. Kendall is a big girl with a wonderfully calm demeanor, something we prayed would be much like her Uncle Dizzle. She reminds me of you from time to time...the way she looks at me with funky eyes, the hiccups that she gets, the way she purses her lips when she's concentrating...

The holidays have come and gone, and it's odd beginning a new year without you. As I look ahead, I wonder who I'll call for the latest movie review, or who will hook me up with the latest music and technology. I'll miss calling you to debrief the last episode of "Idol" or "24", and miss the updates on Crosswalk each Sunday. I know your absence has left a mark on that congregation as well.

I just wanted to write a simple note to let you know that you are missed, and definitely not forgotten. I will be working hard to make memories of you come alive for our little girl, and to remind us of what a great blessing you were in our lives. You still make me smile.

Love,
Your proud sister.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Your letter warmed my heart today. It's true, everything is different for us now. Sharing memories will always bring smiles to break through our sorrow. Sending love and hugs to you and to Derek, today and every day.

Angela said...

Your family seems to have walked through the past months with such grace, Jamie. I'm sure he's proud of you, too.

Mom Stav said...

I read your letter to Derek with tears and a smile . . .

Love you forever,
Marcia

Grandma and Cliff said...

Your letter was so sweet and he knows we all are missing him and how we have such sweet memories of him. They also make me smile as he had such a keen sense of humor. It's so wonderful and comforting knowing where is and who he is with. We love yu Derek and every day Cliff says how good you were to help him then he tears up also. You touched many lives Derek and we miss you.