Friday, January 03, 2014

Siberian Chill


If you follow me on social media, or if you actually live here in the arctic, you've been horrified along with me at the temperatures occurring outside.  Over the last six months, I've heard that it's going to be a cold winter.  "They say it's going to be a cold winter."  Well, pshh.  We live in Fargo, of COURSE it's going to be a cold winter. 

The proverbial they were right.

Good Morning America's meteorologist Ginger Zee gives Fargo a big ol' shoutout on a daily basis, it seems, while phrases like "Siberian Chill," "Polar Vortex" and "Arctic Blast" pop up regularly on the seven-day forecasts.  And here we are, smack in the middle of it.   For this California-grown girl who HATES being cold, I haven't been dealing with it very well.  There's a fair amount of childish foot-stomping occurring if I have to leave the house, and a number of tears that have been shed due to the pain affiliated with being outside at all.  I. Hate. It.

Last Monday, the temperature decided to spike up to the mid-thirties, something we haven't seen in a couple months.  You wouldn't believe the amount of people out playing in the snow....building snowmen, sledding, winter merriment.  I looked at my children who haven't played in the snow at ALL this year and felt pangs of guilt.  I should be letting them experience the snow!  So I sucked it up, pieced together a mis-matched, too-small snowsuit for Carter complete with his sister's boots, and took them outside.  Oh gosh, the excitement!  Here it is, documented for all to see:  I brought my kids out in the snow :)



Now, many people have asked me how I like living in Fargo.  There is a short list of perks, one of those being that the cold temperatures force us to SLOW DOWN.  Enjoying family, cuddling, eating in, being creative with our playtimes...all good things.  I've appreciated this aspect of living in the Northland, considering I came from a busy, egocentric metropolis.  The discrepancy is huge.

But there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing."
THIS happened today:

This winter hasn't been the "let's stay in by the fire and be cozy" romanticized sort.  It's been a "MY BODY HURTS WHEN I GO OUTSIDE,""BEING OUTDOORS IS LITERALLY DANGEROUS" kind of winter.  THAT kind of winter is no fun.  THAT kind of winter takes fun weekend plans and blows them away in 30 mph freezing cold wind.  THAT kind of winter makes us feel trapped inside, doomed to another day of jumping on couch cushions and pounding play-dough (this monotony, of course, bothers me much more than my children).

We spent almost half of December plunged well below zero degrees, and the forecast is pretty grim for us heat-lovers.  It's only January 3.  There's a lot of winter left to endure.

Pray for your frozen friends :)



I

14 comments:

Paula White said...

Your a good mom taking the kids out in the snow. You can complain all you want; you are in the artic. Paula

Lindsay Kent said...

Was -23 the high??? Make a trip to CA! We comfortably ate outside in spa robes and flip flops at wine and roses yesterday. Oh gosh... I think I just rubbed it in.

Terre Moss said...

Bring your Mom and bring the kids to Disney World! I promise you'll be warmer. I'll even put the toddler bed together!

Angela Sluder said...

We were just talking about you, our frozen friends. Literally, like 30 minutes ago! Praying for a bright and warm future

Lauren Stavenger said...

We should just start planning a yearly warm weather winter getaway for our mental health and wellbeing. This is terrible!

Mandy Weaver said...

I feel you all the way Jamie! At least you plan to get out at some point--I feel I may be trapped here for life. And you have tons of California friends houses where you can stay for free! I'd totally book a vacay to L.A. right now!

Angela Strand said...

This winter has pushed me over the edge. I am actively searching for a transfer back out West. Take care out in Fargo, Jamie!

Colleen said...

I have to give you major props for being a Godly wife, following your husband where God leads. I am sitting here wrapped in a blanket feeling "cold" in the 60's and nighttime lows in the upper 30's. God bless you sister!

Jackie Farnsworth said...

Brrrrrrr! I love reading you blog! It's so cute and funny! Hope you're managing to stay warm with your little cuties! Here, in good 'ole CA, we aren't getting much of a winter. Supposed to be 68 degrees tomorrow. Ri-dic-u-lous.

Holly Miller said...

I feel bad for complaining my house was at 62.... It's been flirting with 70 here all week. I would like some winter. Gimme some rain, wind.... But you can keep the arctic!

Mom said...

All you can do is plow through it. Literally. This region is a tough sell for a Californian, or an Arizonan. As I said when you got married and moved out here, it must be TRUE LOVE. For that, I am thankful!

Stephanie Myogeto said...

From a girl that has lived in North Dakota /MN all her life, I hear your pain and agree! It's cold! But, just remember that it's just a few months. If you are wanting to take the kids sledding when it gets a little warmer, I have the perfect "secret" spot in West Fargo. It would be perfect for your kids and not many people know about it! My kids still enjoy this spot. Also, if you can plan a getaway trip to get a break from the cold. That sometimes can help mentally (and physically) !!!

John Garcia said...

It was cold here the other night too... I think it was like 52 degrees...

Amelia said...

I've had my air conditioner on while driving in the afternoons the past two weeks, so....can't say I really feel your pain.

BUT..if it makes you feel any better, I've thought of you every time.. ;)

Hang in there!