Monday, January 27, 2014

Checklist for Encouragers

Every time I pull up my Facebook timeline, I find a link to some kind of checklist.


27 Surreal Places to Visit Before You Die.
7 Simple Ways to be Happier
5 Best Ways to Survive "Christmas Shoes"  (serious LOL)
17 Cheap Ways to Stay Warm This Winter   (Local friends.  heh.)
100 Ways to Conserve Water. (California friends.  heh.)

I read some.  I'm amused by some.  I implement some.  I discard some.

Every time I open up my Godbook, I find checklists, too.  (See what I did there?)

10 Rules by which to Live
9 Attributes of a True Christian Life
8 Kinds of People God Blesses

The best instructions for life aren't found on Facebook or Huffington Post or BuzzFeed or latest issue of O Magazine.  They are found, and have always been found, right here in the Scriptures.

This week, as I was reading through 1 Thessalonians 5, I was reminded how important it is to be an encourager to others.  As these "instructions" are generally applicable to both believers and non-believers, I thought I'd share them here as inspiration for us ALL. 

Reference:  1 Thessalonians 5:11   Example : Build each other up.
Application:  Point out to someone a quality you appreciate in him or her.

5:12  Respect leaders.
Look for ways to cooperate.

5:13  Hold leaders in the highest regard.
Hold back your next critical comments about those in positions of responsibility.  Say "thank you" to your leaders for their efforts.

5:14  Warn the lazy.
Challenge someone to join you in a project.

5:14   Encourage the timid.
Encourage those who are timid by reminding them of God's promises.

5:14  Help the Weak
Support those who are weak by loving them and praying for them.    

5:14  Be patient
Think of a situation that tries your patience, and plan ahead of time how you can stay calm.

5:15  Resist revenge
Instead of planning to get even with those who mistreat you, do good to them.

5:16  Be joyful
Remember that even in the midst of turmoil, God is in control.

5:17  Pray continually
God is always with you- talk to Him.

5:18  Give thanks
Make a list of all the gifts God has given you, giving thanks to God for each one.

5:19  Do not stifle the Holy Spirit
Cooperate with the Spirit next time he prompts you to participate in a Christian meeting.

5:20  Do not scoff at prophesies
Receive God's word from those who speak to Him.

5:22  Avoid every kind of evil
Avoid situations where you will be drawn into temptation.

5:23  Count on God's constant help
Realize that the Christian life is to be lived not in our own strength but through God's power.


Source:  Life Application Study Bible                 
   


1 comment:

Franse said...

yep, all life's answers!