Friday, January 24, 2014

Era of the Princess

First, there was Snow White.
Then, there was Cinderella.
Then....a bunch of other ones.

And now, there's Kendall, fairest of them all.  (And I do mean fair.  We get far less than our fair share of Vitamin D up here.)
This is what Chris has been dreading since the day we found out we were having a baby girl.  Princess dolls and dresses, jewels and crowns are all as foreign to him as hockey is to me.  But, I'd venture to say that nowadays, the "princess phase" is inevitable.  And though there are hundreds of diatribes about how these fairy tales are creating unrealistic expectations in relationships and how no self-respecting woman should let a man rescue her (gasp!), I see it as a harmless milestone for every little girl.

Kendall received some princess toys last year, and they collected dust for months on end.  I scratched my head and thought do we have the one little girl in the world that doesn't care about princesses?  Then slowly, it happened.   Cinderella was broadcast on the Disney channel.  Fluffy dresses started to catch her eye.  Her little brother became her dancing partner at the ball.  Mommy's shoes became glass slippers.  Her fairy tale began.

Begrudgingly realizing this stage is unavoidable, Chris agreed to accompany Kendall and me to a Disney Live production here in Fargo last fall.  It was Kendall's first real encounter with Disney magic and though she was excited, she definitely didn't know what to expect.  I don't think we will soon forget the wonder in her face when the curtain went up.  And I certainly don't remember much of the show, as I was choking back tears...so grateful to be able to experience something so magical with her for the first time.

Though Chris still cringes at phrases like "Daddy's Little Princess" (and highly disapproves of any clothing bearing these words), I think we can agree that making our children feel cherished, important, and loved is among our primary goals as parents.  And when it comes down to it, that's what being a princess is all about. 



P.S.  I took the Princess Quiz.  Everyone is doing it.  I'm most like Aurora...."a vision of beauty inside and out, we are loved by everyone."  OBviously!  ;-)  Which princess are YOU?

3 comments:

@Sklake said...

Add a bible verse and wham-o you have a devotional! I too dragged my feet to the princess stage, but Hannah is a part of the pink crown club.

P.S. I am Belle, I find the good in everyone and 'll do the rescuing thank you very much! :)

Amelia said...

I got Jasmine - "Impetuous, headstrong, and hungry for adventure..."

Sounds about right. And Chris ought to be grateful - princess dresses at least tend to be much more modest than anything 'Daddy's Little Pop-star' might wear ;)

Unknown said...

Just catching up on some blogs and yours is always one I look forward to!

The princess stage can be taken any number of ways and in our house, we embrace and teach through it. Most of the stories our girls are familiar with have roots in Andersen and others who wrote for instruction. I have an entire series of Andersen books with children's Bible studies in the back. Many of the Disney stories carry lessons of virtue and vice, often both within the princess herself. We also use it to teach our daughter about her TRUE identity as a princess of the THE King. Being a princess also carries responsibility, along with the fun, and we have been talking about those things for years with her.

Interestingly, God has used certain Disney stories to bring healing and challenge in my own life. I BAWLED through Frozen as God cracked open places in my own heart that He wants to be working, places long ago sealed off and ignored.

Enjoy the princess! we never really outgrow it, do we? ;)