Sunday, April 22, 2012

Interruptions


Life WAS just plugging along, relatively comfortably and rather painless.
THEN, 2009 and the subsequent years happened.
A dump truck load of pain was heaped on me and my family.
My brother's death.
A miscarriage.
A relocation that I didn't want.
My parents' divorce.
And, most recently, a child with a major medical problem.

The following questions have been on auto-repeat for quite some time:
WHY?  Why ME?
Why, God are you PICKING ON ME?
WHEN will this string of heartache come to an END?  
...as if I'm the only one in the world that has to endure such tribulation.

They're the easiest questions to ask.

On a recent road-trip, Chris and I had a timely reminder of God's desire for us during these "interruptions" in life.  We listened to a series by Louie Giglio called "Life Interrupted," where he suggests that we CHANGE the questions we are asking during  life's challenges.  Harder questions, because they require us to look beyond our circumstances to the eternal plan at hand:

1. God, what are you doing in the midst of this interruption?
2.  God, who do you want me to connect with during this interruption?
3.  God, how do you want to use me in the midst of this interruption?
4. God, what do you want to do in me in the midst of this interruption?
5. God, how can you be glorified during this interruption?

Life on this planet will never be free of interruptions.
It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN. 
Your phone call, your pink slip, your break-up, your heartache....it's coming.
And WHEN they come, we have the choice to turn INWARD- and pretend that the universe orbits around us and our little lives,
or we can turn our attention UPWARD, and trust the God who is superintending the entire universe...while simultaneously wiping every tear from our eyes.
It may NEVER make sense this side of Heaven.
But one day, we'll see what God sees, and it will all be clear.



Sooo, while we're not exactly giving this newest interruption a big ol' hug, we are certainly not defeated by it...or any of them.  There is purpose in our challenge, power in our weakness, and beauty in the ashes!

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  -Romans 8:28



20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like Job, we will suffer, we will wonder why, we may even get to asking God, "WHY ME?" But, if we still hold to His Promises, and our faith is in Him, we will come through it; maybe not in what feels like one whole piece, but victorious none the less. You keep in your heart and mind that you are supported and bolstered by our constant prayers and love! Rosa

Angela said...

Amen, Jamie.

Gma/GGma Pullen said...

From a book I recently read, "An Altar in the World": "No one who is not in pain is allowed to give advise to someone who is. The only reliable wisdom about pain comes from the mouths of those who suffer it --" Hang in there, Jamie. We are all in this together.

Lindsanator said...

I seemed to be asking myself the same questions today. I'm sorry you have been through such a roller coaster lately. But if it means anything to you, your blog was just what I needed to read today. So somehow you magically can lend a hand unknowingly from states away. I hope things begin to iron out for you because you're one the best people I've ever known.

Tiffany said...

We have all walked through these very well put "interruptions" either very similar or very different, but it is how we choose to walk that brings us through it. Thank you for that reminder with such an open heart Jamie. I will be praying for your little man and family!

Carol said...

Jaime...in times like this I think "why not me?"...please know that you all are loved and thought of in daily prayers. I have faith that all will be well and little Carter will be well soon.

Kristina Ecker Noe said...

Oh Lord, my heart is breaking for you, Jamie. I can empathize with only some of the pain you have experienced, but it is a deep pain, nonetheless. We are praying for your whole family. Remember the truths you shared in this blog in the times you feel weak. Thank you for sharing your heart. The scripture is right on, and what I constantly grasp on to in this life.

Cheryl said...

Sweet Jamie, I just read your blog. Will PRAY for the Lord to give you His peace and a season where the storms have calmed. Love you dearly...

Nicole Nolan said...

I had the exact conversation with God tonight on the way home from the hospital ... It's such an amazing place to be when you can be at peace and even joyful in times of trials!

Allison said...

Jamie,
Your post tonight reminds me of the Mercy Me song, Jesus Bring the Rain. Sometimes listening to that song helps explain the seemingly unexplainable. I'm so sorry this storm cloud has stayed over your family for so long and pray that it will move on soon - bringing you much needed sunshine. However, Jesus is holding you now and always in His embrace and He has a plan for you and your beautiful family. We will continue to pray for you all ... and if your mom needs ANYTHING, I ask you to please call us day or night for support!! We love you all!!

Marie Wright said...

Keeping you all in prayer! Thank you for your heartfelt words! God continues to hold your family in his arms!

Dayna said...

Praying and thinking of you and the family often.

Renee said...

Well said Jamie! One never knows what God can do in times of trial. All the people that watch you and grow in their faith because of your faith. Thank you for sharing your pain and insight.

Jun Jamosmos said...

Bless your heart, Jamie. It is always good to ask God questions for our sakes, and asking HIM the right questions is what you have done, and perhaps will continue to do so...we are with you in spirit, Jamie! Thank you for being vulnerable and open to everyone about what you feel...it confirms the work of the Lord in your life here and now. Take care, best regards,
Jun and Adjing

kkvernen said...

Thank you for the reminder Jamie! Your faith is encouraging and I will pray that God will strengthen you through the days that lay ahead! Blessings to your family!

Kristi Kvernen

Colleen said...

A while ago was asking the "why me"too. God led me to create a gratitude album. It was one of the hardest things I've done but SO worth it. So every time I feel the storm coming on I go through my album and focus on God's faithfulness. Hang on and focus on those things! Praying for you

Brandy said...

You are remarkable and my prayers for you all have not discontinued, they have just been extended! Love you girly!

Jenny Walker said...

I love reading your blog, Jamie. Not just for the pictures of your super cute children, but also because it's so very inspirational. Thanks for that. :)

Renee Critz said...

I am in awe of your strength and perseverance.

Jenny Misirli said...

Praying for you all Jamie!