Thursday, September 08, 2011

Ice, Ice Baby.

I'm generally not a fan of ice.  Don't like it when I get two sips of soda because icebergs engulf my glass, I'm not a banner-waver for ice-skating or hockey, and I certainly don't like LIVING in it.

But something happens during my gestation that makes me a crazy, ice-seeking lunatic. 

I tried to research this phenomenon online, but typically landed on a condition called "Pica", the desire to eat non-food materials.  Animal feces, Clay, Dirt, Hairballs, Ice, Paint, Sand.  Uh, does ICE seem a little out of place on that list?!  That did little to lesson the "freak" factor of constantly having a cup of crushed ice and a spoon in my hand.  And for the record, NONE of those other items sound remotely appealing.

I take comfort in the fact that this is apparently very common, as birthing centers usually have- in endless supply- buckets full of ice waiting for us.  Not just ANY ice, either.  The BEST ICE IN THE UNIVERSE.  Soft, wonderfully crunchy pellet ice.  I'm thinking we need to take a tour of our new birthing center soon so I can try it out :) 

In the meantime, I am on the hunt for this delicacy in real life.  While in Southern California last weekend, my friends and I enjoyed conversation over a cup of ice at The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf- amazing ice, for free!  It has been suggested that Sonic and Taco Bell also have pellet ice- I have yet to confirm this.  If it's true, I could be consuming a lot of Tacos in the near future. 

Our crushed ice at home will suffice for now, though I may have no teeth by the time this baby arrives.

9 comments:

Katrina said...

I can assure you, Jamie, you are not experiencing Pica...that is a really serious condition that has everything to do with mal-nutrition, which those items are a craving based on the type of nutrition women are void of.

Ice, not a big deal. I love ice this pregnancy because of how much longer I am in this hot belly for compared to my others. Go ahead and love it for right now :)

Kathy said...

I LOVE pellet ice, too - and I am NOT gestating!! The Culvers in Superior has great pellet ice, for your next trip here.

Jenny said...

I actually LOVE ice in my drinks, even in winter. So you can imagine how much I loved it when I was pregnant. And I had to have crushed ice, cubed just wouldn't do. People would look at me funny when I asked for a cup of ice in winter. :) I always used to wonder why the dr's office used to ask if I ever craved dirt or paint chips. I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Alissa said...

You do weird stuff when PG! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie I know the feeling . When I was pregnant with your dad my favorite ""meal" was crushed ice. So I definately understand. Love Grandma Mc Beath

Ann said...

Come visit me at work! We have the same ice machines as the hospital. :) Have you been hanging out in any tire stores this time around??

Jamie Stavenger said...

LOL- no, but I have been lingering a little longer in the garage these days :) And don't tempt me...I WILL take you up on that!

Karen Neal said...

We have a pellet ice machine at work. We all call it the good ice. It's the best! I have never experienced the pellet ice at Taco Bell, but my love for the Coffee Bean was solidified when I had my first drink there with pellet ice. I always order an extra cup of ice at Sonic because I LOVE THEIR ICE.

http://alberico.net said...

First of all, THUMBS up on choosing Coffee Bean OVER Harbucks! Second, Pellet ice is amazing, Taco Bell has it.

For me there's nothing like a good root beer served up in a glass of Pellet Ice!