Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summer Reading

Okay, okay...
It's definitely not summer yet. (I'm not so sure it's even spring here yet, but Chris gives me a dirty look when I say that.) BUT, being that I'm not yet employable by the great state of Minnesota, I have some* extra time on my hands. (That "some" refers to the minutes when I am not sifting through wedding gifts, writing thank-you notes, doing laundry or watching The People's Court.) I'm not usually a novel reader, but I thought I'd take a break from my typical Christian Inspirational choice to enjoy a no-brainer for entertainment purposes only. I picked up the following at the B&N a couple weeks ago:

and I finished it last week.
WOW. Not as no-brainer as I thought it would be...it's a challenge keeping up with the author's preference for flashbacks and such, but it sucked me in from the very beginning. With a weekend at the Stavenger's lake cabin, there was a lot of time to enjoy it. I thought I'd give another book by this author a try:

I've had the above novel for a week and have not made it past the first chapter. I don't know if it's because we've been busy with our Minnesota Wedding celebration, but it's doesn't have the same initial appeal. I give it a "meh" for now, but this may change.

6 comments:

Ashley Lapointe said...

I had to read My Sister's Keeper given my line of work. It definitely brought up some ethical questions for me. FYI: The movie (produced by Cameron Diaz) comes out Summer '09, some of my patients have been filmed as extras in it.

Jamie Stavenger said...

SWEET!!!

Anonymous said...

I read The Tenth Circle by Jodi Piccoult and it is VERY intense but well written. Just be warned. :) I also will be reading another one of her books, Nineteen Minutes, for grad school this summer. I will let you know what I think!

Jamie Stavenger said...

Ooh...I've heard that Nineteen Minutes is really good. It may be up on deck for me- but I'll wait for your review :)

Perksofbeingme said...

New reader here. I actually stumbled across your blog because of a video you have posted (will be commenting on that soon). I loved My Sister's Keeper- in fact I read it in one night. I have not read any other books by Piccoult, however I have The Pact, and I'm wanting to read Nineteen Minutes (and I'm debating on reading The Tenth Circle). Great blog.
~Brittany

Anonymous said...

I just read Nineteen Minutes...amazing. But very intense, so be prepared!

I had a B&N gift card to spend, so I bought two more...My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth. Will let you know what I think!

Did you make any progress on yours?