Thursday, February 21, 2008

Adventures in Minnesota, Episode 1

A few weeks ago, Chris and I attended a high school basketball game with some friends of ours. We met up with them at a restaurant just outside of Duluth for dinner. I was sporting my ski-jacket since it was the coldest night of the year to date, recorded at about -17 degrees (WITHOUT windchill!).

Because it felt like ice cubes were affixed to my skin when standing still, you better believe I was running to and from the car! After hopping in Chris' car post-dinner, I noticed that his passenger-side window was rolled down a bit. Trying to correct the problem with the button didn't work, so I called on his help. Soon the window was down halfway, with no obvious solution to get it back up. I braced myself for a very chilly ride to the game.

It took some time to defrost, but the game was great- a real nail-biter between two high ranking teams. (For my L.A. friends that may be scratching their heads right now, YES- that team is ALL WHITE. Welcome to life in Minnesota!)

Chris and I weren't looking forward to the ride home with a window down. He offered to take the backroads so there would be less wind in my face- I opted for the speedier solution. Just gun it and get HOME! I fit as much of my body as I could inside my jacket as we started the drive. Then, on the freeway, THIS happened:

Chris was a champ and put the spare tire on in the FREEZING cold. An hour later, we were home and I regained feeling in my fingers. That little window incident ended up costing about $600 bucks.

And I got initiated to REAL cold. Way to kick my butt, Minnesota, but you can't get rid of me that easily.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't he let YOU drive so you can have the side with the window that closes?

Becky said...

I can see myself FREAKING OUT about that during a Stockton winter. I can't even fathom what -17 would feel like! Yikes! You must really love this guy eh? ;)