Saturday, March 01, 2014

Nuddle is My Favorite Word

It's pronounced nuh-ddle.
As in..."Mommy, I want to nuddle with you."

It has become my very favorite word, because it describes my very favorite pastime:  snuggling with my little ones.

While Kendall has always been a champion sleeper (seriously, if it were an olympic sport...), but Carter has been a challenge from the start.  If you are a frequent reader of this blog, this is no surprise to you.

Prior to parenthood, I had such a clear vision of the kind of parent I wanted to be.  But something happens once you actually become a parent.  Family, friends, books, articles, media spots...they can all, at one time or another, put pressure on you to parent the "right" way.  You should be doing ______.  Your children should be doing _____ by _____ time.   It's easy to slip into the trap of letting others influence your parenting decisions, and I've let myself fall into that trap more than once.

I vividly remember one such experience at the beginning of last fall.  We had gotten Carter on a pretty normal nap schedule (a miracle in itself), but I had to hold him.  I enjoyed my break in the day.  It felt good.  But a few unintentional comments from others made me feel guilty for sharing this rest time with Carter...and the constant social media reports from moms-on-the-go made me second-guess my daily routine.  Perhaps I should be doing more, more, more.

I felt like I needed to change my naptime procedure to avoid being judged as a lazy stay-at-home mom.  So I started putting Carter in his crib for naps, and it was a struggle.  Half an hour here, half an hour there.  Crying.  Rocking.  Waking up his napping sister.  Crying.  Rocking.  I was persistent, and it did improve slightly over time...gave me time to do the dishes, anyway.  But no one was well rested, and I wasn't enjoying this time of my day.

On one particularly frustrating day, I brought Carter downstairs with me, ready to throw in the towel on his naps.  He promptly fell asleep as I sat on the couch, and I exhaled deeply.  Here we were, where we started.  It felt good.  It felt heavenly.  I stared and stared at the face of my youngest, hoping to memorize the peace in that moment.

Why hadn't I been doing this all along?  I want to!  So, I made the decision to make our "nuddle" time a priority again.  I know this phase won't last much longer...his naps are getting shorter and shorter...and I don't want to miss any of it (cue Steven Tyler).  Now, I have extra incentive to complete all of my household duties in the morning so that I can enjoy guilt-free cuddles with my baby.

I know what kind of parent I want to be;  I want to be the kind of Mommy that will set aside busywork to savor those snuggles.  They are a precious commodity.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

You always remind me that real people exist! It's so refreshing!

Nicole said...

Love this! I have the same feelings! Good for you for enjoying your babies !

Heidi said...

I am definitely pro nuddle.

joy said...

Nothin' better than nuddlin' -- I feel the inspiration for a song (a quiet song) coming on. I always nuddled my little ones as I surveyed the cleaning, dishes, work to be done, closing my eyes to the clutter to open my heart to the beauty of peace on little faces. Necessary for child and mother-Nobody better nuddle with my nuddling!!

Jackie said...

I held Sydney during every nap, everyday, until she stopped napping. People made comments, judged, whatever. At the end of it (and during the opinions), I knew that by Sydney being happy, I was happy. If that meant holding her during naps, so be it. You are a FANTASTIC Mommy. And, "nuddle" time is perfect!

Natalie Mangrum said...

Nuddling is awesome. They grow out of that so quick. Enjoy your kiddos!!

Kim Kissell said...

I napped with Lauren forever! Those times are invaluable! What a blessing!

Laurie said...

I snuggled with Zech yesterday when he was laying down for his nap at my house. I did the same thing as you, just watching his sweet sleeping little face and remembering when my own kids were this small. Enjoy evey opportunity you get.