Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Blessed Assurance

Well, [long exhale here]...

Last Sunday, we were part of a worldwide candlelight vigil for parents who have lost children.  Less than a week later, twenty more sets of parents were violently inducted into that horrible club.

I've had some time to process the events of last Friday, though I'm not anywhere close to reconciling this horrific act with a peaceful spirit.  The two are diametrically opposed.  I know that others are trying to do the same, and we're all failing miserably.  I've seen posts insinuating that this was somehow God's will or that it happened because we've removed God from the schools, yadda yadda.  People, this is JUST NOT TRUE.  It was NOT God's will for these precious children to die in such a tragic way.  I fully believe His heart is broken over this, just as it was when His Son died a brutal death on the cross.  And, without embarking on a political commentary here, God is as present in the schools as He has ever been.  Just because children aren't rallied together to pray doesn't mean that God has fled and left school children to fend for themselves.  It's just not so. 

As we ALL struggle to restore our faith in humanity, and more importantly, lean into our faith in God, it's important to remember what is TRUE, what is CERTAIN.  A message from Bayside Church's pastor resonated with me, so I'll share this excerpt with you:

I am certain that this senseless act breaks the heart of God because…
  • I am certain that God understands what it means to lose a son
  • I am certain that every one of today’s victims was precious to God
  • I am certain that God is near to the brokenhearted
  • I am certain that no life is ever devoid of meaning no matter how short
  • I am certain that Jesus meant it when He said, “Let the little children come to me”
  • I am certain that life is precious and that every day with your kids is a gift
  • I am certain that America needs to rediscover a reverence for life
  • I am certain that a day is coming when suffering will cease and God will reign
  • I am certain that when anyone closes their eyes here for the last time and wakes up in the arms of Jesus – they will be more alive than they have ever been. 


I have seen the effects of losing a child first-hand, and it introduces an element of fear in me that I can't even describe.  I don't know how I would cope had it been my own child caught in the line of fire.  Honestly, I can't even allow myself to think about it too hard.  My heart aches for the community of Newtown, as reports of daily funerals trickle in.  All I can do is pray that the PEACE that passes all understanding descends on them and that the nearness of God makes itself overwhelmingly apparent.  I know you are praying that with me.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

"I've seen posts insinuating that this was somehow God's will or that it happened because we've removed God from the schools, yadda yadda. People, this is JUST NOT TRUE"

I've been thinking the same thing. It hurts my heart that people believe that.