Friday, June 08, 2012

Carter Update #2


I am asked on a regular basis how Carter has responded to his recent surgery.
It doesn't bother me at all...in fact, it makes me feel loved and cared for.
But, for the sake of repetition, I'll post my official thoughts here.

The actual surgery was fine.  He responded well to the anesthesia and his post-op recovery went better than expected. 
We had a stringent drops regimen that gradually lessened over the course of a few weeks.  He has, subsequently, had NO drops in the past couple of weeks.  And, unfortunately, I believe I see a difference.
All the symptoms that were present when we were initially concerned about his eyes are still there.
Watery.  Irritated.  Extreme light sensitivity. 
I would be surprised if his pressures WEREN'T sky high again.
Therefore, I'm expecting the worst when we return next week for his procedure:
the Trebeculectomy that the surgeon discussed with us earlier.

Aside from hating seeing my baby boy in discomfort that I can't fix, my biggest challenge lately has been moderating between a toddler who would live outside if she could, and a baby who HATES being outside.  I have enjoyed playdates with friends who graciously watch Kendall play outside while I hang out indoors with Carter. 

It's summertime, the weather is beautiful, and I hate not being able to take Kendall to the park to play, or even in our backyard.  Hats, sunglasses- it's pretty much futile to make Carter comfortable outdoors, at least until the sun sets.

Despite his challenges, he is a bouncy, happy kiddo.  And Kendall, for the record, is a gracious and patient sister. Please continue to keep us in prayer, and I'll continue to update you all.

No comments: