Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Adapting to the Animal

It's been a while since Luna went to live with her new family (who now can't keep her in a bizarre turn of events, but that's another story). I thought we had gotten rid of the animal living in our house, but it turns out we've got an 11-month-old animal in angel clothing under our roof! I've been enjoying (for lack of a better word... Sympathetizing?) reading about the destructive challenges my friend Ashley is having with their daughter, Audrey, who is having trouble adapting to the new sibling in the house. Little did I know my own little destructive force is surfacing...a teething baby who is desperate to chew on ANNNNYTHING. I lost one pair of slippers already, and have multiple teeth-marks in my shoulder (no permanent damage done, but MAN it hurts!). (Stephanie- I've adapted the Yo Gabba Gabba song and now sing "Don't Bite Your Mom".)

The last few days, I've gone to retrieve her from her nap, and found all sorts of brown debris around her mouth. Perplexed, I hunted down the culprit: the finish on her crib. She's chewing it to pieces.


So, we've done some "Imagination Movers"-style brainstorming and hopefully have curbed the problem for the time being...unless any of you have a different suggestion?

8 comments:

Jamie Stavenger said...

I just realized I used two children's show references in this post. Wow...I need to turn off the TV for a while.

Jenny said...

Jamie, that is so crazy because Maayu has just started doing the same thing! I was in bed one morning and heard a weird sawing noise and found my daughter gnawing on her crib like a beaver! My boys never did that. It's so funny how similar our girls are. :0)

Jenny said...

Btw, I love your solution. I'll have to copy it.

Jamie Stavenger said...

So far, so good...but Chris is concerned she's going to rip the tape off and choke on it. I think it's strong enough, and I'm willing to take that chance as opposed to allowing her to ingest any more shards of wood.

Roxeanne said...

Crib Wrap. They're on Amazon. Saved at least the front of G's crib. Since they don't get all their baby teeth until around 2. You have a long time (and a lot of crib) for Kendall to chew through.

Ted said...

I'm with Chris. I don't like the tape at all. Try the crib wrap, or sew some cloth straps on the blankets you are currently using.

Ashley Lapointe said...

Sorry to hear of your destructive challenges. Audrey has also had trouble with chewing the rail on her toddler bed. Luckily, it was a quick phase. We bought the Gummi Crib Rail, also on Amazon, but never actually used it for her crib. I like your solution. Good luck!

Aunt Evy said...

Offer something handy (and satisfying) to chew on. "Gummi Crib Rail" sounds promising!