Monday, April 14, 2014

Grief and Joy

Grief is such a long, weird roller coaster.  I haaaate roller coasters.

Life seems to plug along as usual, punctuated by happy memories or poignant reminders that tug at the heart and cause deep, proud exhales.  Then the next moment may find you evoking the spirit of Ron Burgundy, screaming "I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!Such was the case this past Friday.

Several things contributed to my grief-ridden outburst.  First, a close friend of ours experienced the death of a sibling.  His only sibling.  I can relate to the imprint this loss will have on his family, but not to the sudden, tragic way that it happened.  The unanswered questions regarding a life abruptly halted is a different kind of grief burden. 


I lost my brother in a different way... one that I had time (though not enough, never enough...) for which to prepare.  The implications of that, trying to understand what my brother was feeling as he courageously fought a losing battle, are an entirely different burden.  To be honest, I don't allow myself to "go there" very often- hardly ever anymore.  But I did on Friday after reading about a friend's life-threatening diagnosis. 

She bravely beat breast cancer last year- while pregnant, no less.  She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl and life post-cancer resumed, until she discovered a lump on her arm last week.  We awaited her news which she graciously shared with us via social media:  "It is not good news. I have Stage 4 cancer. It is in my arm, lungs, liver, bones, and brain. We pray that chemo and radiation (and God!) will work a miracle, but we do not expect one. "All to Jesus I surrender, All to Him I freely give; I will ever love and trust Him, In His presence daily live." 

I thought about her two young children who don't realize they may lose their mommy, and it hurt my heart more than I could bear.  I lingered in the sadness for a while, I had some meaningful conversations with my husband, and then I forced myself to stop thinking about it.  I have that luxury, unfortunately she doesn't. 

And then, to cap off the week, was a frivolous little made-up holiday called "National Sibling Day," showcasing itself primarily on social media.  My news feed was inundated with photographs of friends with their siblings.  And while this has never bothered me before, I was particularly sensitive this year.  

I wish I could have one more day with my brother.
I wish he could see my children, laugh and play with them.
I wish my children could know their funny, gentle, generous Uncle.
I wish my husband had a brother-in-law to battle in Fantasy Football.
I wish that grief hadn't destroyed my family.

So, yeah.  I let the tears flow.  It was physically and emotionally exhausting, but cathartic.  I needed it.  And now, having spent time grieving the pain of death, I can redirect my focus to the JOY of the RESURRECTION that defines this week, the overcoming of the grave through Jesus Christ and the hope of a pain-free, beautiful eternity in the presence of our God.

I love this season.
 
1 Peter 1:3
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead... (NIV)


17 comments:

Taylor Jordan said...

Hugs. Beautiful post, Jamie.

Jonas Bundy said...

Thank you for allowing your grief to turn to hope. Beautiful writing Jamie.

Jessie Soukup said...

I shared similar emotions, although not as close to home as it is with you. Felt almost guilty celebrating my anniversary on a cruise with my husband. Thankfully we can experience joy that can only come from Christ, even in the midst of sadness and confusion.

Christa St. John said...

Thank you, Jamie!

Jennifer Bergh said...

So much to process, I am very sorry Jamie.

Paula White said...

Love you Jamie. Paula

Shawn Lind said...

Beautifully written...and made my heart hurt.

Mandy Weaver said...

Love you James-- thinking about you and praying for you!

Marcia Stavenger said...

Love you!

Cheryl Hecht-Sheen said...

thanks for posting this, love you!

Mary Merrihew said...

Sharing as you have reminds us how blessed we are to have loved greatly. And to cherish those we still have.

Valerie Turner said...

Cancer leaves us all with lumps in our hearts, scars across the soul. I miss the once happy and complete Petersen family, and thanking God that through Christ the hearts and souls and families will one day be healed. Sorry for your friends' loss and painful news and how that impacts you.

Pam Huff said...

Jamie, thank you for sharing your heart and soul. I lost my only sibling when I was in my 20's. Yes; periodically that wound gets bumped open. Godspeed prayers for your friend.

Ted Towle said...

You have this wonderful ability of being able to invite the world in to share your grief so that we can cry along with you, and all the while make it a positive experience. Thank you for posting this.

Brandy Carlson said...

XOXOXO...

Joy Baer said...

You have a sensitive, beautiful gift of connecting all people into one thought with the trials of life as well as the joys! I thought of you last week when fb announced it was sibling week. Tough times grow us-both emotionally and spiritually and though we would not wish for the rain, it is through those storms that we appreciate anew the peace that only Jesus can give and we welcome the sunshine with the hope He promises. So many people carry the scars that are not seen but felt. Love you, dear friend!

Sarah said...

Grief is one of the most difficult experiences. Having lost both of my parents-- one from physical illness, and one from mental illness. I get it. It still hits me at the worst times. I remember being so angry at my dad for dying. Full on anger. then horrible guilt for being angry. Yeah, no real logic there, but grief defies logic.

I'm sorry that you lost your brother. I'm sorry that you will feel that void forever. I'm sorry for the times the grief creeps up when you least expect it. I'm also so thankful for the hope of heaven. That the story won't end here. Even that the dull ache reminds me that I'm normal. I hope you know that all of your feelings are normal!