Friday, July 12, 2013

That Song in my Head

Music moves me.
OR, more accurately,
GOD moves me....through music.

Some people feel closest to God sitting in the middle of a forest or on a mountain.  Those places are nice, but I get totally distracted by the bugs.  Then I start thinking, "WHY God, why make such a beautiful place and mess it up with bugs?!"  So, yeah.  I'm not a great naturalist in that respect.

And I'm not great at meditation, either.  There's the "mom-my....Mom-my....MOM-MMMY!!" interruption, but even before children, meditation was hard for me.  I do it because the Bible clearly tells us to do so (Matthew 6:6, Mark 1:35, etc...), but it is HARRRD.

God speaks to me (or, rather sings to me) most clearly through song.  My approach to worship music as I listen is to disregard the artist.  My personal preference for voice or style can get in the way of the message.  When I let the LYRICS take center stage, powerful stuff happens.

--------------
I remember the song Captivated (Vicky Beeching) took over my mind as I walked through the impressive, marble-laden Mosque in Casablanca, Morocco.  "No other could ever be as beautiful...", God said to me.

I sang with passion the song Mighty to Save (Hillsong United) as my brother was fighting for life, and with renewed passion after he left us.  "I rose and conquered the grave...." said my Lord, assuring me I'll be reunited with him one day.

I watched through tears as an orphan from the Children of the World choir sang He Knows My Name (Tommy Walker).  God said, "You have a Father...I'll never leave you, no matter where you go."

I was a block away from my apartment complex years ago when I had to pull the car over, overcome with emotion listening to Chris Rice's song Come to Jesus.  Still evokes tears EVERY time I hear it- so rich with meaning that spans so many of my life experiences. 

I followed God's nudging when I left Stockton to move to Southern California.  It was hard to leave my comfortable life, and when I fell in to bouts of stubborn doubt, Breakaway (Kelly Clarkson) always seemed to pop up on the radio playlist.  (Did you know God can speak through "secular" music?!  GASP!)

 "Holy Holy Holy is the Lord God Almighty, who Was and Is and Is to come..." sends chills through my body when I think about the scope of creation- in Heaven and on Earth- that is singing the same song (Revelation 4:8).  When I sing Revelation Song (Kari Jobe), I am mindful that those moments are something I share with my brother, who happens to have a much better view of the King of Kings than I do at the present time.  It connects me to my past and my future.

--------------
When that "random" song pops into my head or into the worship set list on Sunday, I can't help but think that God has something to say to me...or you.  Sometimes I get to be the musical catalyst, and that is a gift in itself.  Take another listen to that song that isn't your favorite on Sunday morning, or the Chris Tomlin hit that's on the airwaves for the hundredth time today- perhaps something special awaits you.


4 comments:

Amelia said...

After my first difficult night of outreach in the ladyboy bars in Bangkok, "I Still Believe"(Jeremy Camp) on repeat the whole way home was what calmed me, and revived my extremely drained spirit.
'Even when I don't see, I still believe.'

When I'm feeling lonely, "Spoken For" (Mercy Me) is my comfort song.
'..child of the risen Lord; to hear you say, "This one's Mine," my heart is spoken for..'

Every time I question(ed) why I made a decision, or why I moved somewhere, or whether or not I'm making the right choice about something, "The Voice of Truth" (Casting Crowns) starts ringing my head like the still small voice.
'..the voice of Truth says this is for My glory; out of all the voices calling out to me, I will choose to listen and believe the voice of Truth'

And when I can't explain my faith to someone as well as I'd like to, "Indescribable" (Chris Tomlin) reminds me that sometimes there's more to it than just words.
'..creation's revealing Your majesty, from the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring..'
and that 'you see the depths of my heart and you love me the same'

Thanks for sharing yours, Jamie! :D

Jenny said...

Music has gotten me through the hardest times in life. Kim Hill's "You Alone" got me through my grandfather's death. I sang it at church the Sunday after he passed. It was a wonderful reminder of God's comfort. Nichole Nordeman's "Small Enough" was my prayer through many times of trial. Just to know that He is listening, and that He knows me. Wow.

Well, I could go on and on. :)

Jamie Stavenger said...

Thank you for sharing, Amelia and Jenny! Jenny..."Small Enough" is SO powerful! Nichole Nordeman writes some amazing stuff.

Greta Bundy said...

I love this blog. I love how you worded EVERYTHING. I love your heart and your honesty. And... I totally agree. There are many days or nights a song "pops into my head" and the encouragement and my Love for Jesus and His love for me is overwhelming! In the past 24 hours this song has rolled over and over in my head "Your faithful life endures...What Joy What Joy for those whose hope is in the name of the Lord what Peace what Peace for those whose confidence is in the Lord...Hallelujah" I love letting those words just soak into my soul. I'll take that kind of refreshing reminder of Christ's love, anytime.