Sunday, April 14, 2013

No Naps In Heaven.


Something pretty intense happens when one participates in leading a worship service.

When you know that GOD is empowering you to do what you do, it's quite humbling.
It's thrilling to be a part of the Holy Spirit's energy moving within our collective worship time.
There is camaraderie with fellow musicians, and unity is championed.
AND, it is personally gratifying to know that God is affirming you as you use your gifts appropriately for His Kingdom.

It's, like, wow.  Glimpses of Heaven.

I often leave church on a high.  I sing all the way home.  I reflect on the morning.  I thank God for allowing me to serve in the way I do. 

Then, I CRASH.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who experiences this massive wave of exhaustion after intensely engaging in worship.

Because not only is worship leading thrilling, it is also a massive sacrifice of energy.  It's an investment of time, and as artists, we pour our heart and soul into our worship gatherings.


It's the culmination of days/weeks of practice.
It means early morning and late night rehearsals.
It means exerting a crazy amount of energy.
It can literally be painful as shoulders, fingers, feet take an extra beating.
And, as I've experienced, the enemy tends to fight hard against those serving Him in any capacity.

As I was hardly able to move from exhaustion after such a morning recently, I was considering Heaven and what worship must be in the presence of God.  Um, intense much?  Much more than 5 songs on a Sunday morning, anyway.

How exhausting, right?!  Surely there are breaks for those gathered around the throne to rest intermittently...

I can't even wrap my limited brain around the idea of a body that doesn't grow weary.
That doesn't have the physical limitations that we do.
That doesn't need a NAP after worship.

Worship with no "after"...just WORSHIP.  All day.  Every day.  Forever.

It's gonna be incredible.
On this earth, we will grow tired and weary...especially if we're doing it right- worship leaders and worshipers alike.  To engage heart, mind, body, soul is intense, but satisfying.  It's the ONLY way we can live the way God created us to live- in communion with Him, surrendered lives postured to praise.

And it's okay to take a nap, too.  :)

4 comments:

Mary Martin said...

I enjoyed this Jamie and it is so true. Thanks for sharing

Prekelicious said...

I could only feel guilty for wanting to crash all service then doing so after with no such deep thoughts as yours. I seriously felt wrong for being sick and having to fake happy worship. I prayed for the ability to "get through" . Am i horrible?

Jamie Stavenger said...

Kari, we all have "those Sundays". It's only disingenuous if you fake happy every time...THEN there is probably a problem! You don't know how many Sundays I've played after being up with Carter all night...I am familiar with that "just get through to naptime" feeling. <3

Kami said...

I love that, we won’t need naps in heaven! The adversary really does work to bring us down but when we work hard at doing what we do to worship God, it’s all totally worth it, and feels so good! Won’t it be nice to not have so many limitations in heaven like we do with our mortal bodies here on the earth! Oh all the more good we can do. :)