Friday, November 02, 2012

Not Just Any Friday...

Five years ago today, I pulled off the biggest scam in history.


Living in Long Beach, I was on my way to a doctor's appointment across town.  Friday afternoon rush hour traffic slowed me down enough that by the time I arrived at the office, it had closed for the day.  "Great.  I'm going to have to take MORE time off of work now," I thought as I hastily walked back to my car.

Tired and frustrated at the culmination of a long week of work, and after a seven week drought in visits from my long-distance boyfriend, I slammed my car door shut and burst into tears.  I quickly dialed my bestie, Stephanie, who told me to go home, clean up, change and meet them for dinner.  Begrudgingly, I headed home to do just that, though I had no desire to spend YET ANOTHER Friday night with a bunch of couples as I sat on my own. 

My next call was to Chris, who listened to me vent about my trying day, and did the best he could to ward off my tears.  Hugs across the phone lines, though, were getting old.  I carefully navigated the way to my apartment as we talked, one mundane turn after another. 

I was prepared to exhale deeply when I walked in to my home- throw my purse on the ground, collapse on the couch and rest.  However, when I turned the doorknob, I looked up to find a man sitting just outside my kitchen.  Quickly, my brain processed what was happening...a bouquet of roses, my boyfriend looking excitedly nervous...

After I RAN to him and gave him a long overdue hug, he sat me down on the couch, dropped to one knee, took out a small black box, blah blah blah blah....YES!!  (Most of that is a blur now.)

Somehow, I convinced this amazing man to share his whole life with me.  Yes, I'm pretty proud of myself.  Well played, Jamie.  Well played.  :)


For the whole proposal story, check out the original blog post here :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, while looking through hundreds of blogs daily, the theme of this blog is different (for all the proper reasons). If you do not mind me asking, what's the name of this theme or would it be a especially designed affair? It's significantly better compared to the themes I use for some of my blogs.

Amelia said...

I love how you congratulate yourself on "scamming" Chris into proposing. Well done! :D